Skip to Content Top

Can I Take My Child on Vacation Without My Ex?

A girl and her mother riding bicycles down a residential street

A Parent-Child Trip

With summer in full swing, now is the perfect opportunity to travel somewhere and take a vacation with your children. Divorced parents, however, need to remember that their custody agreement does not end when summer begins. A custody agreement must be adhered to at all times, so how can a divorced parent take a child on a trip in light of this? Here is how to make a vacation work with a custody agreement

Adhering to the Agreement

One of the first things anyone in this situation should do is consult the conservatorship agreement that is in place. You and your ex may have written in provisions regarding travel into the agreement, in which case you merely need to follow what is there.

If nothing is written into the agreement, then you are still required to follow your conservatorship order. However, there are a few solutions that could allow a vacation to still take place.

Informal Agreement

If the relationship between you and your ex-spouse is cordial, then you can work together to come to a solution on the vacation issue, especially if you are both flexible enough with your schedules. For example, if the timing of the planned vacation runs up against pre-existing visitation time with the other parent, then you and your ex could agree to allow for a modified visitation time in order to ensure that you both have a fair amount of time with your child.

If you and your spouse can come to such an arrangement, then there is not necessarily a need to have the agreement in writing, although it would be smart to do so.

Modification Case

On the other hand, if the relationship between you and your spouse is less than friendly and negotiating an informal arrangement is highly unlikely, then the next best option would be to seek the help of a third party. This could be a third-party negotiator, such as a mediator, or an attorney that can help put together a modification suit.

If litigation is necessary, then you may end up seeking a modification of your conservatorship order so that vacation provisions can be made, even if merely temporary. Keep in mind that pursuing modification does not happen overnight and could take time; this could run up against the planned time of your vacation.

Do You Need Help with a Texas Conservatorship Case?

If your conservatorship order is not working for you, whether in the area of vacations or just in general, it is important to consult a skilled attorney capable of handling a modification case. At Burrows Law Group, we have helped many individuals change their custody orders to meet their needs and want to do the same for you.

To schedule your consultation, call us at (972) 236-7798 or visit us online.